Freire Schools Mission
Freire Schools empowers students to build the future. We provide a rigorous education in a safe, creative, and supportive environment that enables and inspires all children to achieve.
Freire Schools is committed to ensuring that every single student who walks through our doors has the opportunity to succeed and grow. We provide students in underserved communities a college-prep learning experience focused on individual freedom, critical thinking, and problem solving in an environment that emphasizes community, teamwork, and a commitment to peace. We are four distinct schools in two different cities, each guided by the same values of equity, diversity, love, and critical thinking.
Freire Schools students are confident, dynamic, and collaborative individuals. They are engaged in their communities, and excited to apply the skills and knowledge they acquire with Freire to create new possibilities for our futures. Of Freire Schools’ 2,000 total students, 89% are Black or Latinx, and almost all students qualify as economically disadvantaged. We combine high expectations with robust supports to provide each Freire student with the challenges and resources they need to succeed. 93% of 2019 Freire graduates were accepted to college, and 86% of college-enrolled Freire graduates persist to their second year of college (compared to the national average of 74%).
Freire Schools Core Values
Inequity in educational resources is among the most serious civil rights issues of our time. Freire Schools fights daily to ensure equity in education. From high quality content to diverse learning experiences to exceptional teachers, we strive to provide our each of our students with the individually tailored resources and supports that they need in order to achieve at the highest level.
Freire Schools places a high value on the wide range of backgrounds, lived experiences, and ways of thinking that each of us bring to the table. We prioritize student and staff voice. We embrace and celebrate our differences, because we know they make us stronger as a community and as individuals.
Freire Schools takes a proactive approach to creating a strong community culture built on mutual respect, openness, and honesty, where every individual is seen and valued. We insist that every member of our community be accepted at face value, without judgment, and be supported in inhabiting their fullest self. Our connections create our community. As a Freire Family, our shared struggles, joy, challenges, and successes give us strength.
It is essential that our students are active participants in their own learning, connecting knowledge gained in the classroom to action in their communities and their world. The Freire Schools academic model goes beyond passive lecture and memorization. Instead, we teach students to conduct independent inquiry, ask probing questions, synthesize diverse and complex materials, consider bias and individual perspective, and develop informed conclusions.
Kids are at the center of all that we do, and we believe that they have unlimited potential. A commitment to deeper learning is at the core of our educational practice. We are successful when everyone in our community is growing. We are committed to applying these principles at every level of Freire Schools’ operation, ensuring that:
- Our schools are safe and welcoming.
- Our decision making is informed by our history, the most respected research in the field, and our desire to do best for kids.
- We are all connected and everyone has a voice – students, parents, staff, our Boards, and the community.
- We are upholding our mission and honoring the teachings of Paulo Freire.
- We are identifying, developing, and retaining talented teachers and leaders from diverse backgrounds.
- We are intentional and strategic in how we use our public monies, but the abundance mindset prevails at our schools, where our teachers and students have all the resources they need.
- We are fiscally sound, legally compliant, and ethical in all that we do.
- We believe that learning extends past the classroom walls, and we seek partners who share our values and help our students succeed.
- We are a voice for and example of high-quality urban education for economically disadvantaged students.